Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Dish That Keeps on Giving

Thursday, I made my first pot of black beans.  I followed a basic recipe that I use for most of my slow cooked beans, and mixed it with a few others that I found online.  J  They turned out delicious… and were even husband approved.  Since then, I’ve used the slow cooked beans to make black bean and cheese quesadillas for dinner, and a Santé Fe style black bean dip for our Saturday MMA fight night .  The best part is…I still have leftovers! 

Slow Cooked Citrus Black Beans

Ingredients

1 (1 lb) bag of black beans
2 chopped yellow onions
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 chopped green bell pepper
Juice of 1 lime
1 (7oz.) can of green chilies
¼ cup of orange juice concentrated or ½ cup of orange juice
2 T rice vinegar
2 T olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
½ T Sage
2 bay leaves
1T fresh cilantro
1T oregano (I used fresh from my herb garden, but dried would work as well)
1 T cumin
1-2 teaspoons Tabasco (depending on how much spice you like)


Mix all ingredients in a slow cooker and add 4 cups of water or enough to cover beans. (You can also use broth if you aren’t worried about keeping it vegetarian)

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  They are great served over rice with corn bread muffins. J

Black Bean and Cheese Quesadillas

These are so simple and so delicious!

Ingredients

Whole-wheat tortillas
Monterrey Jack cheese
Cheddar cheese
Leftover black beans
Olive Oil (I use a spray for this)

Warm both sides of a tortilla in a large greased skillet.  Sprinkle with both cheeses, add a few spoonfuls of the left over Citrus Black Beans, sprinkle with more cheese, and top with a tortilla.  Allow cheese to melt and bottom tortilla to brown; then flip and brown other side.  Serve with sour cream and salsa.

Santé Fe Dip

Saturday night, Jason and I were looking for a little snack to go with our lazy night filled with watching his favorite MMA fights.  I didn't feel like fighting the crowd at Walmart, or getting out of my lazy clothing gear; so I made this with what was on hand.  It turned out so yummy...  I will definitely make it again soon!  

Ingredients

1 cup of leftover Citrus Black Beans
2 T of sour cream
½ of a tomato (chopped)
1 Cup of cheese + a little extra to sprinkle on top  (I cleaned out my refrigerator and used a mixture of Cheddar, pepper jack, and Monterrey jack)
1 T chopped jalapeño
1 teaspoon of Tabasco
½ can of corn (I used no salt added)
Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
Dash of Chili Powder

*Mix all ingredients together, sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 30 mins on 350F.  Serve with corn chips.

0 comments: